To the stranger in the Walmart vitamin aisle:
I really was not trying to block your view, with my bulbous belly and my cart in the center of the walk space. I've been exhausted and had a month-long mental block. Despite the fact that I can alphabetize and I know chemical abbreviations for elements, I simply could not find the Iron supplements the doc said I should start taking for anemia. My apology was sincere, if simple.
When you responded that I was the most important person in the world right now because of what I was doing (having a baby) I was completely thrown back. Then you continued and lavished me with praise and told me how beautiful I am and what a better world we would have if everyone recognized that this was the most valuable thing there is. Your kind words, your smiling face, and your genuine good wishes in parting were more of a boost to my spirits than you will ever know. I don't feel beautiful right now. I don't feel like what I am doing as a human incubator is the most important thing in the world. I do feel like my slow movements and tendency to take up space is an inconvenience to others who may be in a hurry, especially in a big discount store.
You completely made my day. In that moment I was reminded of the beautiful things going on within me at this time. The discomforts, fatigue, and seemingly endlessness of it all faded to nothing and I was reminded, there under the blazing fluorescent lights, of all the joy and happiness and fulfillment that is to come. It was such a simple thing.
That one minute.
You changed the course of my morning, and I thank you for it.
Sincerely,
The pregnant stranger you were so kind to
No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think...