I have a confession: I don't like pumpkin. I know it sounds like heresy and that it goes against all that is good and right in the world, but I don't. This time of year I tend to avoid looking for new recipes because everywhere you look it's a pumpkin overload, not unlike Zucchini in August. If you follow me on Pinterest, you will likely see very few new recipes added to my boards this month. Perhaps it isn't pumpkin itself, perhaps its the spices that tend to go with it. I don't love cloves, or allspice, or anything that one would add to a spice type cake that is not called either "cinnamon" or "nutmeg." I can stomach a slice of pumpkin pie only if it is drowned in three times it's weight in whipped cream, but I typically avoid much else made of pumpkin.
With two key exceptions: I make a mean maple pumpkin cheesecake, and this fabulous bread. Oh, this bread.
It's honestly the only pumpkin thing I seriously crave, and initially I only kept the recipe around so I felt like less of an autumn baking scrooge. Truthfully, I blame my cravings on the glaze. That sweet, caramelly, addicting glaze. I'm salivating just thinking about it. Excuse me while I go devour a whole loaf of this.
![]() |
| {It tastes pretty good naked too... but the glaze is seriously what makes this beyond amazing.} |
Caramel Pumpkin Pecan Bread
3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
3 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 can (15 oz) solid pack pumpkin (not the pie ready filling)
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I left these out today since my family doesn't like nuts, and oh how I miss them. Please leave them in. They are amazing.)
Caramel Glaze:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup whipping cream
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
In a large mixing bowl, whisk or sift together the first 6 ingredients (all the dry stuff!). In a separate bowl, combine the pumpkin, oil, eggs, and water mixing well. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Fold in pecans. Spoon batter evenly into two greased loaf pans (I like to line them with parchment for easy removal). Bake at 350 for 60-65 minutes or until the tried-and-true toothpick test yields a clean pick. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Allow bread to sit and cool while you make the glaze.
For the glaze, combine butter, sugars, and cream in a small saucepan. Cook until the sugars are fully dissolved. Allow sugar mixture to cool for 20 minutes. Stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla, making sure to stir until the mixture is smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled loaves.
Take a slice, or twelve, and realize that fall is awesome and your life is now complete.
I actually made one large loaf and one pan of 6 mini loaves, and my family could not stop eating it. This morning the hubs took the last bit to work with the understanding that "we can make more of this, right?" I take that as a success.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think...