Spring decor is not usually my favorite so now that it's close enough to Summer that I can just jump straight into Fourth of July that's what I did. I liked the simplicity of last years door, so I took that idea and tweaked it a little. I decided to use a yarn wrapped oval wreath that I made last summer (and can't find any photos of the process). It was the foundation of my favorite (and easiest) wreath to date:
It's simply a pool noodle, taped like mad so it wouldn't come apart, and stuffed into a rectangular rubbermaid tub for a week or so while we went on vacation. I just did that to keep it from coming untaped, the squared oval shape just happened to be a major bonus! I really didn't think it would stay, but here it is a year later and it's still oval.
I grabbed the flags from last year, the yarn wrapped wreath, and went to town.
I know it's popular to use the pool noodles for wreaths, and rightly so since it's so affordable, but my favorite thing about them has nothing to do with cost. I have learned that I can decorate a foam noodle wreath by sticking things together with straight pins! They stay really well and are perfectly removable - which means I can stretch that $1 pool noodle a million ways and redo the wreath anytime I want without having to peel a bunch of hot glue off stuff.
Now, necessity is the mother of invention as they say and my ribbon stash is incredibly low. Since I'm refusing to buy anything else (I am already a hoarder after all) I decided to use my last scrap of burlap to hang the wreath with. It wasn't long enough so I stitched two pieces together with buttons using a gold metallic thread to add a little som'n and make it long enough to hang.
Only I didn't love it hanging that way because it put the buttons in the middle where they just looked ridiculous. I wrapped the end of the burlap around the top of the wreath, then using my favorite sneaky straight pin trick tucked some cream tulle under the overlap and pinned it tight. Now it hangs from a strip of burlap off the front of the wreath and a strip of tulle off the back.
And... finished. I think. I can't say how I feel about it. It's ok, but I may have preferred the square frame of last year. No biggie - when it comes down I can just unpin everything and make it into something I love more.
What do you think? Do you prefer the rectangle frame from last year or the oval wreath from this year? At least my dark, miserable apartment door is properly dressed now and can welcome guests with a bit more flair.
I grabbed the flags from last year, the yarn wrapped wreath, and went to town.
I know it's popular to use the pool noodles for wreaths, and rightly so since it's so affordable, but my favorite thing about them has nothing to do with cost. I have learned that I can decorate a foam noodle wreath by sticking things together with straight pins! They stay really well and are perfectly removable - which means I can stretch that $1 pool noodle a million ways and redo the wreath anytime I want without having to peel a bunch of hot glue off stuff.
Now, necessity is the mother of invention as they say and my ribbon stash is incredibly low. Since I'm refusing to buy anything else (I am already a hoarder after all) I decided to use my last scrap of burlap to hang the wreath with. It wasn't long enough so I stitched two pieces together with buttons using a gold metallic thread to add a little som'n and make it long enough to hang.
Only I didn't love it hanging that way because it put the buttons in the middle where they just looked ridiculous. I wrapped the end of the burlap around the top of the wreath, then using my favorite sneaky straight pin trick tucked some cream tulle under the overlap and pinned it tight. Now it hangs from a strip of burlap off the front of the wreath and a strip of tulle off the back.
And... finished. I think. I can't say how I feel about it. It's ok, but I may have preferred the square frame of last year. No biggie - when it comes down I can just unpin everything and make it into something I love more.
What do you think? Do you prefer the rectangle frame from last year or the oval wreath from this year? At least my dark, miserable apartment door is properly dressed now and can welcome guests with a bit more flair.





No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think...