Saturday, May 4, 2013

Minor Parenting Win

I'm a mom of girls. Girls bring drama. Girls dealing with divorce, and step-parents, in addition to normal growing-upness have what I imagine to be a little bit more drama. In our house we battle what we call the "freak out." 

The freak out is an almost daily occurrence, at least it has been recently. This week we all cracked. None of us can take it anymore and we're on a quest to eliminate the freak outs. So, I created a deal with Squirt that we are going to set goals to avoid freaking out. For each day she keeps her cool she gets a stamp on her calendar. If she can go an entire week without freaking out she will get a (small) surprise on Saturday. We started Tuesday and until today she had earned her stamp every day.

I whipped up a crazy simple calendar in illustrator and she loves it (It looks off here because I had a printer glitch on the last row of dots). 


It's a minor miracle. 

My favorite part is the spot for her to write in her own goals. At this point I have no idea what notes we'd want to write in, but it's there just in case. 

I honestly had no idea how much the stamps would mean to her, but when she didn't get one today she was a complete wreck. It's been good motivation to remain rational through minor disappointments and I'm hoping it will help her think a little before she reacts. 

I don't know if it will last, but I sure hope so. For now, I'm drinking up my small successes and enjoying four consecutive freak-out-free days!

If you would like to print a May calendar for yourself, you can get it here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...