I found this idea on Apartment Therapy and immediately I knew I simply MUST make this for the girls' room. To make it even better, I had the crib spring sitting lonely and abandoned in my bedroom closet lingering as I decide if I'm ready to close the door on that chapter or not. It was destined for me.
SO cute. Even better in person, if I do say so myself.
Want to make one? It's crazy easy - you just need to have a bit of confidence in your ability to wing-it. First, you need a crib spring. These are easy to find. I really liked the honeycomb style of mine but rectangular ones look amazing too. This just happens to look like really large chicken wire.
I laid the crib spring on my living room ottoman (with 800 square feet and no garage you do what you have to) and held the lumber up to it to see how long it ought to be. I marked the length with a pencil and cut it down using a hacksaw at my dining table. Once the length was figured for one side I used it as a template to mark the other board so the opposite sides would be even. I started with the long sides and then figured the length for the short sides.
Yes, you could just measure, but I found that I wanted the lumber to cover the side springs and it was easier to just lay it out and gauge the length visually.
Now, I don't have a lot of space or tools, so I just make do with what I had. The hubs is gone for long hours and so there are usually only my two little hands to work with. To assemble the frame, I used wood glue on all seams and to hold it in place I used a plain 'ol office stapler opened up so it could lay flat. You know, the way elementary teachers use it to staple kids' art on the bulletin board. The staples are NOT DURABLE. They existed only to hold the boards in place long enough that I could get out my drill, drill some pilot holes and nail the thing together for stability (screws would be better, but I worked with what I had).
Let the frame lay completely flat until the wood glue sets.
Once the frame is set, tear strips of fabric to wrap around the frame. I used cheap-as-crap muslin from Walmart and tore it into 4.25ish inch strips. Glue one end of the fabric to the back of the frame and wrap it around until the entire thing is covered. For me that took every last bit of 3 yards material. The corners were a pain in the derriere and no two of mine look the same.
Then it's just a matter of screwing the crib spring to the frame. I added washers to make sure the screw would hold the frame really well. It does not budge. Just like the inspiration I added a few fabric flowers to the front for color and dimension. Add the flower clothespins from a few posts back and my girls now have a fantastic new memo board for their room!
It is heavier than it seems. If you hang it, I would recommend nailing straight into studs. The best part about it is that if you ever need the crib spring for anything one unscrew it from the frame and it comes right off. Then you could add chicken wire, rows of lace, or any numerous other things to the frame to hold memorabilia. Squirt is crazy excited about it, and I must confess it's one of my favorite things too.
My cost breakdown:
Crib spring: $0 - already owned
2 1x4x8 cedar boards: $9.04
Screws: $0.97
Washers: $1.16
Muslin: 3 yards @ $2.47/yd = $7.41
Total: $18.58
.jpg)





No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think...