As a child, I would wander the quaint suburban street we lived on and pick up rocks that struck my fancy. They would then be placed into a plastic bucket until they drove my father crazy and were disposed of in some fashion. As a parent, I get it now. Never did I have anywhere near 300, and since that time I have not been much of a collector. I like mini-collections of three or so items, even if that is more of a small grouping than a collection. Too much stuff and I quickly fall into freak-out mode and send half of it to the thrift store.
Despite this, I do have almost 300 cookie cutters. They seldom get used and reside in a box at the top of our coat closet, but having them brings me comfort. It is not the sort of comfort that comes from loving an item, but rather they remind me of my mother since most of them were hers. I would never desire this many - but since they tie me to another time and place I cannot imagine being without them. I collect the memories rather than the items.
Memories and experiences are priceless to me. I love scarves, but I can't imagine 30 of them let alone 300. I love baking dishes, and camera lenses, and cute shoes. I love pretty plates and dangly earrings and fleece blankets. I love books and old National Geographic magazines and candles. What I would love to have are 300 things gathered on travels with my husband so that everywhere I look my mind is filled with memories. With memories, 300 feels like we've made a good beginning.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think...