Within the dark emptiness of my bedroom closet, I placed a bookshelf. It was a petite unit painted a medium, near-Wedgewood color blue. The shelves took one end of the closet and in the other side I placed a few pillows, a small blanket spread upon the floor, and a flashlight. While not a true secret hiding place, I would frequently crawl inside and curl up on the floor with my Sunday dresses hanging overhead, pull out a flashlight, and read a book. On the side of the bookshelves facing my reading nook I taped a paper bookmark we were given at school that said simply "I love reading" in a simple script font. The other kids made fun of the bookmarks when the teacher had handed them out but not I. I did in fact love reading and this little corner filled my heart with happiness. As an only child in a large home, true hiding places were not needed to achieve solitude.
Now, when I need a break from the world around me I do not climb into a closet while no one is looking. I simply sit on the floor of the shower, let the room steam up, and drown myself in my own thoughts.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think...