I have been sick for the last few days. Normally I bounce right back but evidently pregnancy makes being sick even worse. I sure didn't know about that up front. Add to it the fact that my Squirt has been grounded for a week (today is the last day - hurray!) and our house hasn't been a whole lot of fun lately. In an attempt to pull myself off the couch and make the best of this day, I gave Squirt a job she can handle independently in the kitchen; make some Scotch Treats.
I recognize that this is not a new or unique recipe, but for me it is a reminder of childhood. My mom and I used to make these and they were one of my favorite things. In fact, as a kid she won a blue ribbon at the state fair for this recipe. Now it can be found on several websites, but I like to forget about that detail and focus on the memories.
(Does anyone else lament the loss of recipe cards? Who doesn't love stumbling upon something nostalgic and hand written? I also love to see the stains forever trapped on well used cards.)
Squirt was all over this idea.
We did have a couple of kid cooking snafus. The peanut butter was melted but the chips weren't when she poured in the cereal. Then she let the mixture sit on the stove without stirring it and it started to burn a little.
No matter. She likes them anyway and she feels one step closer to kitchen independence.
I feel one step farther from being a lame and boring sick mom. Though I didn't get any pictures of her at the end. I'm sure you guys have all been there too. This is as good as it gets today.





No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think...