Sunday, January 20, 2013

One Little Word

For the last few years, I have tried to select a word to represent the coming year. It seems an easier task than creating a list of resolutions that exist solely to depress me, and yet each year it takes most of January filled with reflection before I come up with something that really speaks to my soul. There is one exception. At the completion of 2010 I was seeking for some changes that I knew were going to be hard and chose the word "embrace" to represent 2011. That was the only year I could select a word with little deliberation and had selected it before the new year began. It figures, it was New Year's Eve of that year I met my now-husband. I knew the moment I met him that it was going to be a lasting deal, and the word "embrace" really served to help me approach the many life changes that came with our meeting.

This year, I have really struggled to select a word. I thought about "endure" or "persevere" to help carry me through this student life chaos but those both sound so negative and I prefer a word that uplifts and inspires me.

Last night it finally came to me.

My word this year is CREATE.

Normally, this makes me feel all crafty-like, but I realized that we are the creators of our own destiny and can apply this word in so many ways.

I've struggled with feelings of inadequacy and depression with being incapable of finding work. It's really done a number on my self-esteem and I wish to focus on the fact that I can create a beautiful life in my present circumstances and within my present means.

This is the year I take back my feelings of empowerment and remember that I can create the beauty, opportunity, and joy that I seek. A little bit of crafty and kitchen creating will certainly contribute to that.

So there it is, a little late, but personally significant.

Create.

Do you select one little word? What would yours be?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...