The things I'd picked were PERFECT for Munchie, but too "immature" for Squirt. We're growing out of things like princesses, coloring books and Littlest Pet Shops. Now we're embracing things like having our own ipod, primping, boy craziness, and Britney Spears (heaven help me).
I'm trying to understand where she's at and have spent a lot of time thinking about the dark ages when I was young. When I was her age, I loved, no LOVED making friendship bracelets. They were easy, colorful, and best of all cheap. I didn't have much money so having something so personalized for so cheap was crazy exciting. So naturally, I chose to introduce her to this little world.
The bracelets I always liked the most were these macrame knot reversible guys. I found they were easily varied and frankly really fun. Besides, they were just enough different to be noticed and let's face it, at that age being a little different in a good way is exciting.These use basic embroidery floss.
Measure out your floss. I use one strand of each color. How long to cut it will depend on how tight you tie your knots and how long you want it to be. For these I made 6.5 inch bracelets (not counting the looped end or the tails). I use the highly technical form of measuring holding the end of the floss in one hand, pulling it taut and measuring out to roughly the elbow of my other arm. This is about 4 feet.
Fold the floss over about 12 inches from one end and tie a loop.
When I was a kid I'd safety pin this loop the the knee of my jeans and then tape down the string I wasn't using. Now that i buy my own clothes and don't want to ruin them I came up with something else :)
Slip the string into a plastic embroidery floss holder.
Slide the floss holder into the edge of the floss box.
Tape down the two shorter strands of floss. Trust me, it's easier if they aren't flopping around.
Now you're ready to start tying knots. Basically, we're just doing a series of square knots. (You can check here for more macrame knots)
To make a flat bracelet, pick one color floss. You will start with that color for every single knot.
Here, I started with the gray. I'll use colors to identify my strings so it is less confusing :)
Lay the gray string down the side and crossing over the top of the center strings (like a reverse "L").
Take the blue string from the other side. Lay it on top of the gray floss, then take the end of the string sliding it under the center two strands and coming through the loop of the gray. It should look like the top picture at left.
This is your first knot.
You will notice that the floss colors have switched sides. This is exactly what we want. Start with the same color again, lay it down and over the center strands (like an "L"), and loop the blue floss over, under, through the gray once again.
This is your second knot.
Keep going until you've reached the length you want.
Then just gather all the loose ends together and tie a big knot at the end.
And voila! A completed macrame reversible friendship bracelet! Notice how on one side the gray is on the outside of the knots and on the other it's in the center? Yeah. Pretty groovy.
Or you can make them twisted...
Instead of always starting with the same color floss, always start on the same side (I start on the right) for your knots. The color you are starting with will switch, but if you're always starting on the same side you don't have to remember which color you are on.
Or you can make them color blocked:
The only critical change for color blocking, is at the very beginning. Instead of placing the loop knot 12 inches from the end, place it smack dab in the middle of the strings. Tape down the color you do not want to show and make knots with the others. If you do roughly the same number of knots for each color the strings will be about the same length when you are all done.
There really are a ton of options!
They may take a few minutes to get used to, but once you get the knots down they go crazy fast. AND they were a hit with the 'tween. (She picked the green/yellow one to go along with her love of UO. )
I whipped out about a dozen of these puppies and I think we've got two left. Squirt took them to school and handed them out to friends. They are friendship bracelets after all. Make one, make a dozen, the 'tweens in your life are bound to like them.
.jpg)






No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think...