Both the girls dig owls. It started with some aprons I made (tutorial to come) and then Munchie did a report on Snowy Owls and built a "model" of one. Squirt gets excited when she sees them too. Plus, I happen to be uber excited about owls - especially since my Aunt gave me some owl tea towels embroidered by my mother somewhere around the mid 70's. I love them. So. Much.
I was meandering through the mall one day and saw this picture at TJ Maxx (or somewhere similar). I took one look at it and said "I can make that!" whipped out my phone to take a picture, and was on my merry little way. Does anyone else take pictures of things at stores simply so they can
Well, copy it I did. Or at least I tried to. The rule was no shopping (surprise!) so I only used paint colors I already had on hand. I don't fancy myself to be a painter, but this was pretty fun nonetheless.
I started by making the background, taping off the edges with painters tape, and then having at it! I only ruined one white shirt (my favorite) in the process. If it hadn't been for the shirt, this project would have only cost about $2.35 for the canvas. As is, now I have to spend more to go shopping for a new white shirt. Even if the other one is still wearable.
It's not the same, but it's pretty fun. It will bring a pop of color and whimsy to the kids' room. If I'm tired of it in a week, I can always paint over it!



No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think...