Thursday, January 19, 2012

Button and Feather Clips

I saw this link on Pinterest that I flipped over right away. I pinned it at bedtime, and by 9:00 the next morning it had been repinned 22 times, which means that by now this is definitely not a unique idea. It also means that a fire was lit under my bum to get on it and make some quickly before the trend passes. Since I don't wear bobby pins with great success I decided to make some on clips instead. I've come up with three different approaches to this look and can't decide which ones I like the best.

These have been so much fun I'm thinking of using this as a craft for my daughter's upcoming birthday party.


This first style uses metal clips that I found in the ribbon section at Walmart, though I hate to admit to shopping there. They are intended for making bridal accessories, but they are cheap and I am frugal when it comes to my crafting. The big difference with this one is that the button is at the tip of the clip rather than the hinge. It feels backwards, but I've found that we wear this style more than the others. Perhaps because of the awesome black and white bling one in the middle. (Click the pic to see it larger and read the instructions).


On style 2 I put the bottons on the hinged end of the barrette. It feels more "logical" this way, yet I just don't like it quite as well. We've also found that the feathers curling up are fun in my daughter's hair, but for my hair I prefer the feathers curling down. Who'd have thought? 


The third style is the bobby pin style just like what I pinned and the original source can be found here. I found it easier to glue the feathers to the button first rather than the piece of felt.
Side by side the three styles of feather clips. I really didn't expect to love the white feathers but they are so much fun! The red buttons are for my daughters for Valentine's Day. Do you think they will like them? If you make some leave me a message and link so I can see. I'd love to see yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...